Saturday, September 5, 2009

Banksy in Bristol!

This has nothing to do with U2, but I just have to say a few words about my favourite anti-establishment graffiti artist. Banksy! He's AMAZING, but he's so mysterious nobody actually knows who he is, or what he looks like. He's pretty famous in the UK and Europe, but no one else I know has actually heard of him, so I feel the need to rectify the situation.

After Cardiff, some of us went off and did our own thing, some went to Oxford, some went to Cambridge. I went to visit my friend Louise in Bristol. That was when I discovered there was a Banksy exhibition at the museum there! Imagine how excited I was! Unfortunately, one look at the lines of people queueing to get in, and I changed my mind about going. Louise talked to one woman who had been waiting in line since 9 in the morning...and it was already 11am!


What I like about Banksy is that his work is very satirical, involving themes from politics, society, current affairs. If anyone has noticed the image of a dove in a bulletproof jacket that I sometimes use online, that was done by Banksy. It was part of a series he did in Palestine, along the Israeli Separation Wall, as a commentary on the political situation there.

Banksy actually comes from Bristol. You can see some of his most famous work just by walking around the city. Which is way better than waiting 4-6 hours to see an exhibition in a museum! It made my day to discover his 'man hanging out of a window' piece while crossing a bridge, hehe! And I caught a glimpse of another one on the way to the bus station the next morning!

Oh yeah...he does have a website. It doesn't tell you much, but you do get to see lots of other amazing pieces he's done. Please, please do check out his stuff - it's really cool! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment